1915: Victor Gasket Manufacturing builds in the Central Manufacturing District.
Built in 1915, manufacturing plant for the Central Manufacturing District (CMD), the oldest industrial park in the country. The CMD straddles the South Branch of the Chicago River in the Bridgeport/McKinley Park neighborhoods. In earlier years, the CMD was host to many names linked to Chicago’s history – names like Armour, Spiegel, Sears, Swift, among others., the site is located in the
1947: Spiegel purchases the building.
In 1947, Spiegel purchased the building to supplement their cluster of buildings located nearby on 35th Street.
1963: Illinois Insulation and Construction purchases building as distribution center.
The building was purchased, in 1963, as a new distribution center for Illinois Insulation and Construction after fire destroyed their headquarters on the far South Side.
1981: Price Family purchases building to operate as headquarters for Price Family businesses.
The building was purchased, in 1981, by the Price Family and served as a fabrication and distribution facility, and headquarters for the Price Family businesses until 1998, when the operating businesses were sold to Bay Industries of Green Bay, WI,
1998-2007: Iron Studios Era – Artist Lofts.
The Prices began to renovate the warehouse into lofts, under the name of “Iron Studios,” providing exhibition and arts-based rental spaces
After being contacted by a large ISP about the possibility of locating a data center in the building, the owners decided to pursue this growing need for data storage. With a 35 year background in energy conservation and a renewed interest in geothermal heating and cooling, the Prices began to research the feasibility of cooling a data center through the use of geothermal energy. The addition of specialty insulation systems and the latest technology in fire suppression systems would help to provide affordable, competitive data storage space.
We secured a permit and began renovating previously occupied artisan/production studio spaces by removing demising walls to open the spaces up to more natural light, refinished all walls and ceilings, refinished the hardwood floors and completed the installation of high efficiency thermopane windows throughout the building. We also renovated the boilers, doubling their efficiency. We replaced the 800 amp single phase electrical service with new service.